Join us! There are so many exciting opportunities to join the healthcare workforce in Northland, New Zealand!
We are actively seeking interest from General Practitioners to support our rapidly growing population. Choose from either an urban or rural practice, with a huge variety of presentations on any given day. As Northland's primary health entity, we are supporting our general practices in primary healthcare to grow our General Practice and Nursing workforce.
We are looking for GP’s and Nurses who have a passion for equity, to experience the relaxed Northland lifestyle and the opportunity to practice medicine across a wide range of complex health conditions. This provides great experience, offering a variety of challenges and opportunities in your work and the ability to extend yourself and your skills, with a broad population of children/youth and elderly for clinicians that have a particular focus on these patient groups.
There is an opportunity to suit everyone, from short and long term locum work, to being a salaried GP, to having the ability to buy into a practice. Join us!
Northland has so much offer!
- A very relaxed lifestyle, with very friendly and welcoming colleagues and communities
- A great climate (we do often have four seasons in one day, but it's warm, often tropical in the summer, and never below zero in the winter)
- Affordable housing (you can choose from a house or apartment in the city or a small farm or lifestyle block in the country)
- Opportunities for those who dream of a lifestyle block of land, a few pets, a little backyard farm, plenty of fertile soil
- Geographical safety – we are lucky to have a stable government and in Northland we aren't prone to earthquakes or major floods
- Our 'end of New Zealand' location means we can isolate and protect our community from pandemics more easily
- Plenty of outdoor activity, beautiful beaches and coastlines, stunning walks, water sports, cultural interests plus more!
- Close proximity to an international airport in Auckland (just a 2-3 hour drive away)
- Fair remuneration that is comparable to the rest of New Zealand and other parts of the world
- A genuine cultural experience, with one of New Zealand's largest Māori populations
How we can support you
We will support you throughout your journey to move to New Zealand, which may include travel support, initial accommodation, orientation and settling, identifying job opportunities for partners and schools for children. Each option would be determined on a case by case basis. We will help you to develop relationships and find you the right practice to work with, and ensure that you are well supported during your time in Northland. We will also assist with collegial support, education, Treaty of Waitangi and cultural training, and ensure a supervisor is actively involved to support you.
There is an option to suit everyone, from short and long term locum work, to being a salaried GP and in some practices having the ability to buy into a practice.
- The choice of urban or rural practice
- The chance to experience true 'general' practice
- Challenging and diverse presentations, giving you the ability to extend yourself and your skills
- Flexible working hours to suit your family and lifestyle
- Professional development and mentoring support
- Broad population of children/youth and elderly
- True rural practices, with occasional on call or after hours and home visits
Keen to find out more?
We encourage you to make contact with us to learn more about the opportunities with Mahitahi Hauora and in Northland.
Some of the questions we may ask are:
- What is your ideal lifestyle?
- How long would you commit to working in NZ/Northland initially?
- Are you wanting to be a contractor/employee/partner in a practice/owner?
- If you enjoy Northland would you consider staying long term?
- What are your interests/hobbies?
- What are the interests/career of your partner/family? Children etc?
- How many days a week do you want to work?
- Have you had experience working remotely/rurally before?
- What is your clinical/practicing background? What environments have you worked in before? Have you been a solo practitioner before? Are you able to practice independently?
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please email us on HR@mahitahihauora.co.nz – with the subject line Northland GP, including an introduction about yourself, and your family if applicable, why you are interested and what you are looking for in moving to New Zealand.
We would also like to see your CV, with details of your practicing history, where you trained and your current qualifications and registrations.